The Rumor Mill

Hello, Friends of Tex!

I heard about all the scuttlebutt going around and thought that I should pop in and add my two cents.

As most of you know, we've dealt with a lot of disappointment over the years - Chris and I personally, but also you loyal fans. We've always said that it was our most heartfelt desire to bring Tex back for at least one last hurrah. Rest assured that we still feel the same.

Three Cards to Midnight started out as a possible means to that end. We thought that we might have some success by creating a game with a broader appeal and, hopefully, generate some revenue that we could eventually leverage into a budget for a new Tex game.

What's happened is that we've really grown attached to 3CM. We have every intention of continuing the series and I think most of you will enjoy the ride. However, we haven't lost sight of Tex in the least.

There are some things in the works that might help us bring Tex back. There's nothing official, but we will certainly make a big announcement when and if we make a deal.

One issue that we want to put to bed is the questions of the rights. I can't go into detail, but it's no longer a concern and there's no reason to do anything with the purpose of "convincing" Microsoft, IndieBuilt, 2K or anyone else to "free Tex" :-)

This may not be the news you were hoping for but, trust me, we're headed in the right direction and I no longer think Tex's return is an "if", but a "when".

Thanks to you all for keeping the faith!

Aaron
Great news to hear, and i can't wait to play 3CM!

Keep up the good work sir!
I gots a webcomic! http://yetanothercomic.com
AC wrote: One issue that we want to put to bed is the questions of the rights. I can't go into detail, but it's no longer a concern and there's no reason to do anything with the purpose of "convincing" Microsoft, IndieBuilt, 2K or anyone else to "free Tex" :-)

This may not be the news you were hoping for but, trust me, we're headed in the right direction and I no longer think Tex's return is an "if", but a "when".

Thanks to you all for keeping the faith!

Aaron
That is the best news I've heard all year! What a relief!
:D
A-mazing!

~Keck
I just have one word.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt
And Three Cards will be released...?

edit

Oh, and great news :D
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
Thanks for the update, AC! :) I hope you're well.

PS: DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!!
AC wrote:One issue that we want to put to bed is the questions of the rights. I can't go into detail, but it's no longer a concern and there's no reason to do anything with the purpose of "convincing" Microsoft, IndieBuilt, 2K or anyone else to "free Tex" :-)
I don't really think Details are required for this Wonderful information...
Good to see you posting and thanks for the updates...

One question though... You say you've grown attached to 3 Cards, so how close are we to a Release???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Good news! :D
If you can't be good, be careful
Christmas does indeed last until Easter!!

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
but it's no longer a concern and there's no reason to do anything with the purpose of "convincing" Microsoft, IndieBuilt, 2K or anyone else to "free Tex"
My offer to remake UAKM is only to prove its possible to do it cheaply- the point of using Quake3 is that its a cheap and reliable engine that nearly everyone in the industry can use. Even if we didn't have the rights I'd still develop the demo.

If you've got any concerns you wish to voice to me feel free to send me a PM as I'm sure you know something that I don't.

To be honest with you Aaron, lately I've been bored out of my brains because after having lost my job all I've been able to do is play poorly QAed AAA releases and send off bug reports- its not fun when you actually pay good money for a game just to end up working on it anyway. I'd rather develop a game that won't take very long to make and would provide many of the fans with some enjoyment.

I really fed up with the industry Aaron, if you can tell me that you've got the rights sorted out then great- that doesn't stop me from remaking UAKM though :P unless you're already doing it.

Thanks for the support though, its always great to hear from you.
mr_cyberpunk wrote: My offer to remake UAKM is only to prove its possible to do it cheaply- the point of using Quake3 is that its a cheap and reliable engine that nearly everyone in the industry can use. Even if we didn't have the rights I'd still develop the demo.
+1 YES!

I've been saying this for years (as far back as about 2000 in fact). Originally, I felt that a modfied version of the Deus Ex engine would be worthy, but as time went by, I realised that Quake would also suit it fine if you remove the gunning elements. It's such a gift to have another mind meet with yours :)
Last edited by Jim the old guy on April 03, 2009 • 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the update, AC. Your visits are always encouraging and up-building.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
That's great news. I'm looking forward to 3CM (and, of course, more Tex too).
Well I just put this in the fan art section the other day but I think it should go here as well: