Message Board upgrade complete

Hi all,

Welcome to the updated Message Board! We're chugging along on phpBB3 now, and things should hopefully be running smoothly. All of the old posts and user accounts should be in place as they were before. A few noteworthy items:
  • NEW URL: I've taken this opportunity to swap out the old "phpbb" with "messageboard" in the URL of the Board. I have a redirect in place that should take care of forwarding any old links to the proper place in the new directory.
  • I'm still finalizing some of the design elements, so you may see some ugly jagged GIF images lurking about, or come across a few pages that haven't been fully styled yet. Rest assured that I'll be fixing those things up in the very near future.
  • New birthday tracker on the index page. :)
  • More extensive profile and Private Message controls via the updated User Control Panel.
If anyone runs into any problems or has any questions, just let me know! Thanks, all, and enjoy! More good stuff to come soon!
Congrats! *Passes the champagne*

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Good stuff mate, the sigs finally look good and not squashed... however, Avatars are doing somethign wrong, mine and a few others are horizontally strethched... take a look.... any chance that can be fixed?

-Cub. =o)
Cubase wrote:Good stuff mate, the sigs finally look good and not squashed... however, Avatars are doing somethign wrong, mine and a few others are horizontally strethched... take a look.... any chance that can be fixed?

-Cub. =o)
I see what you mean...unfortunately, I think that was something the phpBB converter did when updating profiles; I think it automatically set the width and height to 150px on avatars that were larger than those dimensions... At any rate, you should be able to go into your User Control Panel and resize (or re-upload) your avatar image to its correct dimensions, under User Control Panel >> Profile >> Edit avatar. Let me know if you run into any problems getting that to work, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Cub!
WAHOO! Very cool! thanks!
Agreed, everything looks wonderful. You keep the Tex Murphy ship afloat James. As does everyone else here, but you provide the foundation. And for someone to continually love and care for that foundation for the amount of time you have is something I find to be very rare. Thank you for providing this area, and with a little luck, all the persistence will eventually lead us to a new Tex Murphy game! Does Aaron think we're all gonna just go "Well, that's it I guess. All that's left is nostalgia. Think I'll go join the Guybrush Threepwood board." NEVER! (Although I bet the people on that board hope on a constant basis that they'll get a new Monkey Island game. Not to diss them, you know.) We're gonna wave our banner of solidarity and faith behind him, always sending him positive karma, always backing him, because deep set in that mushy bag of flesh of his called his brain is the story we've all been waiting for.

Peace everyone, and Happy New Year!
I'm not fat ... I'm festively plump.
Very much better - thank you for all your hard work!
David
Looking great, good buddy. As always, we appreciate all your efforts.

As for the avatars, I think I look younger and thinner. Can't be all bad.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
And a great feature.....

Go to profile, then edit profile, and at the bottom, you can put in your birthday. And it shows on the main screen. Very cool beans. :mrgreen:

Hey, there's two new "smilies" Mr. Green :mrgreen: and Mr. Meh :|
James LeMosy wrote:
Cubase wrote:Good stuff mate, the sigs finally look good and not squashed... however, Avatars are doing somethign wrong, mine and a few others are horizontally strethched... take a look.... any chance that can be fixed?

-Cub. =o)
I see what you mean...unfortunately, I think that was something the phpBB converter did when updating profiles; I think it automatically set the width and height to 150px on avatars that were larger than those dimensions... At any rate, you should be able to go into your User Control Panel and resize (or re-upload) your avatar image to its correct dimensions, under User Control Panel >> Profile >> Edit avatar. Let me know if you run into any problems getting that to work, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Cub!

No worries! All fixed now! Looks really good man!

-Cub. =o)
Shorah James. I just wanted to ask you a question about the new board. When I go to the main board, there is a highlighted icon next to new posts, as expected. But when I close the window and come back a day later, those posts are still marked as new. It doesn't clear the marks after I leave the board like it used to. Do you know a remedy for that? Thanks man, and great new board. Later.
"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net
Sowden wrote:Shorah James. I just wanted to ask you a question about the new board. When I go to the main board, there is a highlighted icon next to new posts, as expected. But when I close the window and come back a day later, those posts are still marked as new. It doesn't clear the marks after I leave the board like it used to. Do you know a remedy for that? Thanks man, and great new board. Later.
Howdy, Sowden!

One of the new features of phpBB3 is that it keeps track of your unread posts, as opposed to new posts made since your last visit. The only tip I can give is to make sure to click the "Mark forums read" link on the main page, or the "Mark all topics read" link within an individual category, before you leave the board. As far as I'm aware, there isn't an option to revert back to the old behavior.
Hey Jamesy :D

I'm having a small issue navigating from my PM Area back to the forum - am I mentally disabled? It'd be cool if the banner on the top linked back to the main forum page if clicked maybe? Just an idea :)

Bests, Rockefeller
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
Ditto from the old guy. However, I have the message board in my favs and I simply travel here with a push of a button (er, mouse). But, it would be nice if there was a direct link.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
rockefeller wrote:Hey Jamesy :D

I'm having a small issue navigating from my PM Area back to the forum - am I mentally disabled? It'd be cool if the banner on the top linked back to the main forum page if clicked maybe? Just an idea :)

Bests, Rockefeller
Sorry about that. There is a method to the madness, but it's contingent on me getting the rest of the new site up and running. You're right, it is a bit difficult at the moment. I've got an idea in mind that should do the trick, though. Keep an eye out sometime tomorrow for a new link in the sidebar. :)