"One-Armed Man"

I've been a Tex fan for quite a while (I remember buying UAKM when it was new!). I just had a quick question that maybe one of you guys can answer.

In the radio shows, they refer to the guy Tex is chasing after as the "one-armed man" more than a few times, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what that's supposed to mean, since I don't think they ever mention that the guy was actually missing an appendage. Closest I can figure is that it's a reference to The Fugitive, but I don't want to assume.

Thanks!
To refer to someone as a "one-armed bandit" is a common term to describe someone who takes someone's money and never actually gives any back. The term was originally created as a humorous nickname to describe slot-machines (as they have one "arm" which you pull to turn the slots)... and becuase slot machines are notorious for taking money with very little to no return expected the phrase has been associated with people who do the same thing. These people include thieves or disloyal borrowers.

I assume that is what Tex was referring to, although he might've changes "bandit" to "man"... or he could be referring to a one-armed man in the literal sense... who knows.

-Cub. =o)
That's the problem with the Radio Theaters, we are unable to see and to have a full explanation of people and events the Episodes would have been an hour long or more, each... So you just have to assume at this point and listen to the story making up your own details for now...

By the way, Welcome to the Boards... Stick around awhile and have a seat...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Well, the "one-armed bandit" idea did occur to me as viable interpretation, but nothing was stolen. Well, except for Tex's speeder, and Chelsea, of course, but I don't think that's quite what is supposed to be implied by referring to him as the "proverbial one-armed man."

I've got the suspicion, though, that it's a referance to the movie The Fugitive. If I remember right, the man that kills the protagonist's wife and framed him for it had one arm.

But like I said, I might be grasping at straws. Thanks for the input!
Welcome, Nomad. It is always enjoyable to see a new poster. Nice question re: the one arm man, wish I knew the answer.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
It's been a while but I think it was a reference to Vegas.
Cubase wrote:To refer to someone as a "one-armed bandit" is a common term to describe someone who takes someone's money and never actually gives any back. The term was originally created as a humorous nickname to describe slot-machines (as they have one "arm" which you pull to turn the slots)...
-Cub. =o)
Correct. However, this is not to be confused with the new pokie machine, The One Arsed Bandit where they put a real life convict on a shelf and feed him coins. To play, you simply pull his finger to determine your luck or misfortune!