Monitors...

Well my Monitor died this afternoon, so I'm stuck with this bulky, small screened, space waster until I buy a new one... I've looked at a few online and this will probably sound like a dumb question to some of you, but what does the Contrast Ratio mean, I've seen it from 500 to 1 all the way to 20,000 to 1...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
The higher the contrast ratio, the blacker the blacks and the whiter the whites will be pretty much, and the wider the colour space overall.

Its a measurement of luminance from the darkest to the brightest colour on the monitor. Having more increments between black and white means more accurate and vivid colour all round. So basically 500 to 1 means if white was 500, black will be 1.... as you can imagine, comparing that to white being 10,000 and black being 1 means that the latter will have a far wider colour space and darker blacks which is important.

Make sense?

-Cub. =o)
Yeah makes sense... So the higher the number the better... Makes sense why the 500 to 1 was so much cheaper than the 20,000 to 1... Thanks Cub...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

This 20" wide-screen TFT flat panel provides the display space needed for everyday business tasks, multimedia or gaming.

* Consumes from 25-60% less electricity than standard models, depending on how it is used
* Convenient digital input via DVI with HDCP support, which maximizes the connection quality between LCD monitors and other digital sources, including PC graphics cards
* 1600 x 900 native resolution
* Striking, realistic image quality
* High contrast ratio of 10000:1 creates richer and deeper blacks, so colors appear brighter and more life-like
* 5 ms response time delivers quick, efficient performance, especially when playing video games
* 0.276 mm pixel pitch provides detailed text and graphics

This is what I think I'm gonna go with... Does this sound like a decent enough monitor???

I was gonna go with a 22", but that isn't really needed for what this computer is used for... I'll wait on the 22" {or bigger} until I've remodeled the Computer Room...

Hmmm 1600 X 900 is a very odd resolution. Not very common. 1680 X 1050 or 1920 X 1200 are much more common. See if you can get one with 1920 X 1200 that way it can be used for full Hi-Def as well if you like.

I fend Dell make some very very good LCDs. I have 2 of their 24"s. But if you want to go 20" then they have a lot of choices there too.

-Cub. =o)
Speaking of monitors.

My best man got me a 21 inch monitor as a wedding gift... not flat screen though.

He got a deal on it cause they were replacing all the ones at the university with flats.
Matt
Cubase wrote:Hmmm 1600 X 900 is a very odd resolution. Not very common. 1680 X 1050 or 1920 X 1200 are much more common. See if you can get one with 1920 X 1200 that way it can be used for full Hi-Def as well if you like.

I fend Dell make some very very good LCDs. I have 2 of their 24"s. But if you want to go 20" then they have a lot of choices there too.

-Cub. =o)
1600x900 looks like the resoulution for a 19inch . my 20inch runs at 1680x1050 & my tuner cards looks great in hd . I only buy samsung monitors as the give a zero deal pixel policy for 3 years. Not sure if the offer it in every country
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
I went ahead with the 20 Inch since it isn't set to be a permanent addition to my Computer Room... This was just a quick fix for the problem that arose... I got it for under 125, so I'm not gonna complain...

I have my sights set on 24 Inch or higher for the 3 computers that will be in the Computer Room...

I start work on the Computer Room in Feb, after my son's B-Day...

so who was the manufacturer - hope it wasn' t LG
Lynne
I got it from Acer... They've been around awhile so it should be okay... Like I said it's only a Temporary Solution for the next few months...

The Computer Room should be done by April or May at the latest... Depends on how much time I'm able to put into it... I'm gutting the entire room and rewiring, that way all the wiring for everything will be in the walls, with small access ports coming out for the power cords of everything... I hate wire messes behind the computer desk... But if I need to change a wire or something, the access ports will be there to get at the wires... I also plan on building recessed shelving into the wall to hold things like the wireless router and whatnot for networking...

It's going to be a decent size job, my brother is an engineer, so he has drawn up the plans and things for me, but he isn't much of a handyman so I don't think he'll be involved in the remodeling... Growing up he cared more about Sports and stuff, I was always right there behind my father watching, be it cars or home improvements or repairs, even if there was nothing I could do to help, I was still there to watch and learn... I learned a great many things just looking over his shoulder...

Between my grandfather, my father and my next door neighbor, from the 3 of them growing up, I could probably build a house with all the trimmings and have it up to code as well, without professional help... I'd probably have to read up on the electrical codes, because they change almost every 6 months, but otherwise it wouldn't take much but some sweat and elbow grease...

that sounds good, I have a room for my computers & I know what you are saying re leads under the desk it's a pain. I have a corner desk with a elevated shelving above & it continues along the wall right down the other end of the wall. I have networked my old p4 with a dual boot with 98 & xp . Vista is on the main pc. I have a notebook network wireless for using in the lounge room for when it's too cold or too hot as my split system seems to old cool that side of the house.

That way if it's messy you can just close the door. I have a good clean up & then a couple days later it's back to the way it was. ..LOL

I have a lot of business paperwork that I need at home so it's hard to have to neat & tidy all the time.
Lynne
Well my son is getting older and wants more space, so for his birthday in Feb he is moving to his new room in the basement, so his playroom will become my Computer Room... I framed a section out in the basement throughout the summer... I'll probably put another coat of paint on it sometime in January, but other than that it's ready... He's wanted to move down there since Halloween... I told him if he keeps asking his mother will have a Reading Room to keep all her romance novels instead of in boxes in the shed... It shut him up... lol

After my Computer Room we are tackling the Kitchen and hopefully the dinning room at the same time... After that project I'm sure she'll want to do the Living Room again, but I should be able to sidestep that by offering her a trip to England to go see her Grandfather...

Remodeling never stops, by the time you get to the last room, you gotta go back and redo the first room, an endless cycle...

I keep threatening to sell and just buy a brand newly build house... I don't think I ever will though...