Wanna fill me in?

Ok, here goes. Hope yall are nice about this and don't roast me... :P

As I've mentioned before, I'm no gamer, though I enjoyed UAKM. I loved the style and story, but I'm more of a creator type of person than a consumer. So.... well, I've never finished UAKM, though I probably will since I now have dosbox.

But what's the story of the following TM game (pandora directive?)? Can someone please give me a rundown on what happened? I was tossing ideas around in my head for a script for a new game, but I'd like to know what happened first so it would all fit together. I just don't see myself getting PD and playing it. Just not a gamer...

I know some people get all touchy about subjects that mean a lot to them, and some people are quite passionate about TM, so please don't roast me! Just an innocent guy wanting to know what I missed... :lol:
Jim's got a PDF file with the Pandora Directive Novel. That's the 2nd best way to get the story.

Gotta say though. Path C, PD, some of the most powerful stuff I've seen.

Jen
This contains major spoilers for those of you who have not played the game so be warned now...

Pandora takes place shortly after UAKM (2043 instead of 2042)...

A man by the name of Gordon Fitzpatrick hires you to find an old friend of his who he has been unsuccessful in locating. However, whilst following leads you find that anyone with ties to the man (Thomas Malloy) are systematically being eliminated by the NSA. Turns out Malloy worked at Area 51 deciphering the Alien hieroglyphics found on the Roswell spacecraft, but after the area was quarantined due to a disaster, he smuggled out all his notes on continued working in secret. eventually he discovered that the information on the Roswell craft contained information that detailed a second spacecraft that preceded the arrival of the first one. Not only that, he knows where to find it.

Fearing for his life, Malloy sent the information out in multiple pieces to trusted friends so that they may discover the truth and do the right thing before the government (NSA) gets their hands on the technology and uses it for bad. Hence why anyone with ties to Malloy are being eliminated by the NSA.

It up to you to get all the information and find the craft before the NSA does.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell... minus the intricacies.

-Cub. =o)
Cub wrote a beautiful summary of the PD plot. I would just like to add that the game is big. Really big and the plot is fragmented into several interconnected adventures.

More spoilers follow
In your search for the missing person you will track down a serial killer, explore the underground levels of Area 51, encounter alien entities, break into NSA offices, get seduced by a beautiful woman, explore Myan ruins, get beat up, have girl problems, trouble with the police, many more things...plus, the game has multiple paths with very different situations and novice and gamer modes.

It just don't get no better than PD.
hm. All very interesting.. maybe I'll try and get ahold of PD and play it sometime... :P

thanks for the responses!
DrPaul wrote:In your search for the missing person you will track down a serial killer, explore the underground levels of Area 51, encounter alien entities, break into NSA offices, get seduced by a beautiful woman, explore Myan ruins, get beat up, have girl problems, trouble with the police, many more things...plus, the game has multiple paths with very different situations and novice and gamer modes.

It just don't get no better than PD.
More Spoilers

Oooh, oooh, don't forget getting shot at by very ticked off Electronics shop owners who are mad you never pay the bill, Fun at the Morgue, Talking to Old Grannies, Jumping out of exploding buildings, Making fun of a bum who runs a chocolate stand, Faking old men out that you're their son, Claiming to be Gandalf slayer of the balrog, And asking old policemen what their arms are doing in a sling ... isn't usually your butt.

Not to mention dodging fireballs, seeing your face on a tombstone many, many times, playing with dog doo-doo, hassling very old pawnshop owners about the money you owe them, drinking bourbon till you pass out, having acrobatic danger right on your desk, listening to a very robotic voice say "you have a fax", going through a very old man's jeans, building and using an aceteylen torch, bomb disposal, Telling an NSA agent in all seriousness "Now I know who you work for. You work for the IRS", Grandpa Murphy's soap on a rope, stealing money from drug dealers, and last but definitly not least ... spying on a dancing show girl through a viewfinder on the roof across the street.

Pandora Directive has it all, and a pack of llamas.
I'm not fat ... I'm festively plump.
UAKM and Overseer both had great moments that true Tex fans will never forget. But you haven't played the pen-ultimate adventure game until you've played PD. Blows everything else out of the water.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Penultimate means 2nd best or second-to-last Jim :)

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
It doesn't mean second best, it just means second to last. The meaning of "best" recently attached to "ultimate" hasn't influenced "penultimate", at least in English. So Jim's statement is accurate, if a bit profound: Pandora is, at this stage, the second to last Tex game.
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)
Oh well, you're the one with english as your primary language, you're probably right :)

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Really? Then how about - nth degree ultimate?
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I'll just agree to the fact that Pandora Directive is the best damn game ever made and have spoken my piece.

Who needs to say more about the subject anyway? :D

-Fred
Pandora was the type of game that made PC gaming atmospherically memorable. Heck, the entire Tex Murphy series was, but Pandora in particular.

Tis a shame that thanks to multiple half-baked alternatives and the poor work of other adventure game producers with badly produced games, the adventure genre, no matter how good games like Pandora were, was destined for extinction from mainstream. :cry:

-Cub. =o)
Viva la revolucion!!

-Fred
It has come to my attention that Fred is attempting to get the last word in this thread. And it is of course my responsibility to remind him, that this honor belongs to me.

Viva la Smurfs! May Gargamele live forever ...

(( Because you know that the smurfs were representative of communist government, and Gargamele represented captialism. I mean heck, Papa Smurf wore red for crying out loud. ))
I'm not fat ... I'm festively plump.