Privateer, Starlancer, Freelancer

I just got done playing Freelancer last night. I have to say it was an ok game, too bad though becasue it has loads of potential.

Has anyone else played these games and then played Freelancer??
I've been playing Privateer again and loving it. God that was a great game! I've heard great things about Freelancer. Apparently it was created by the guy behind Privateer.
Yep it was, but he left early in its creation. And boy does it show, Microsoft decided that the best thing a flight sim needed was no joystick!

Yep thats right, Freelancer cant be played with a joystick.
wow. Considering they pretty much marketed their sidewinders for games like Mechwarrior, creating a game with no joystick support sounds like they were hit with some voodoo curse or something.

I've never had a joystick, so i guess it wouldn't harm my play of the game though ^^
Atomicvegetable wrote:wow. Considering they pretty much marketed their sidewinders for games like Mechwarrior, creating a game with no joystick support sounds like they were hit with some voodoo curse or something.

I've never had a joystick, so i guess it wouldn't harm my play of the game though ^^
The mouse does work fine I was just offended by the fact that I spent like 150 bucks for a forcefeed back flight stick from microsoft and the first really good flight sim in years comes out from microsoft and it doesnt even support the darn thing. grrrrr
btw....

Since you liked privateer I would suggest (if you havent already) to try privateer 2. The story line in PV2 isnt very good but the game is enjoyable.
Yeah, i've always wanted to play Priv2.
Plus, it has Clive Owen in it!

The control scheme in Freelancer wasn't all that hot. The basic idea that the guns could swivel some instead of being bolted solid was good, but it was pretty much nulled by the execution where you could either a)aim in the same direction where you were steering or b)fly straight and aim more freely. Steering with the joystick while aiming with the mouse would be interesting.

Privateer is definitely one of my all-time favourite games. There's a fan remake that can be found at http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/, but I will always prefer the original. A prime example of gameplay before realism.
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed
-Bob Dylan