Looks like there will be more Tex

[quote="Ruben"]Well, nothing official of course, but he said they were aware of the problems of Tesla effect and that they would solve them in the next game. He also said something like 'Chis Jones will hate me for saying this', as if he was talking too much.

I think Adrian may have been referring to the fact that chris jones would hate anyone body stating that there was any problems with Tesla effect as chris jones loved it.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
It would be great if there is another game. Given the change in licencing, I wonder if BFG would consider using the UnReal engine?
Chandler wrote:It would be great if there is another game. Given the change in licencing, I wonder if BFG would consider using the UnReal engine?
Yes.
That would be fantastic. Looking at some of the early images from Cyan's new game, Obduction, the UR engine is capable of some pretty amazing things. And $20 a month, plus 5% of gross revenues seems pretty reasonable.
It's no longer $20 a month. It's free.
I doubt that the Unreal Engine is always the best choise for small studios. Of course the Unreal Engine has some graphic advantages but not that much as most of the people think. The reason why most of the games developed in Unity doesn't look as good as the ones in Unreal is not the engine mostly. Unity was affordable for small studios and they have mostly a small team and a limited budget, like BFG.

If you are using the Unreal Engine, it's much harder to develop a game. Unity has a lot of assets, plugins and extensions and also a big community. If you have a big studio, like 40-80 people working a few years on it, you can develop those tools by yourself and tweak it to your behaviour but that's not possible for small studios. I know that BFG used quite some tools for Tesla which are not available for the Unreal engine.

The problem was more the texture resolution and not using some quality features like bump mapping, reflection-probes... Unity5 also has now physicall based shaders and global Illumination. They needed to keep the hardware requirements low for all the "older" fans and maybe were not aware of all the features Unity had when they started. They jumped right into it and hadn't much time to test and explore what is possible.

You can see here what is possible with Unity as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmz2x-kdGKo
I realize U5 can do a lot, but it seems UR can do even more. If there is another game, and whatever engine is used, the issue with jumping in without much experience is why I recommended hiring someone on contract from the company that makes the engine, someone who could ensure the team is getting the most out of the engine, in the most expeditious manner possible.

I hadn't realized the $20/month had been dropped. That's even more incentive to use UR.