Longtime UTM'ers, here's to us

Hey ho guys. I wouldn't say that I am a lurker, but I have been posting off and on since 1999. And I haven't left the board for more than three days, at its worst. Checking the board everyday just to hang out and talk. Being here during the Radio Theater was exciting, but nothing as exciting as these last two years have been. I was sitting back and thinking the other day that this game has to be one of the most rewarding gifts in my life. Just simply because the creators of this game were as devoted to us as we are devoted to them. Its a really great feeling to receive a game that has as much love and energy for us fans and newcomers after talking to them on here for over a decade. Anyway, yes, to us. Later.
"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net
grunch

Who's like us?

Damn few!

And they're all dead!
DalTXColtsFan wrote:grunch

Who's like us?

Damn few!

And they're all dead!

:D

I haven't heard that in a while.
dcat151 wrote:
DalTXColtsFan wrote:grunch

Who's like us?

Damn few!

And they're all dead!

:D

I haven't heard that in a while.
I figured the people who would know where that came from and the people who play Tex Murphy adventures would intersect SOMEWHAT :).
Not sure what reference you're making DalTXColtsFan, but that phrase goes back to at least Robbie Burns (late 1700's). There's actually more to it as well:

What's for you will not go by you
Long may your chimney smoke
Here's to you. Who's like us? Damn few, and they're all dead!
Many a little makes a lot.
Chandler wrote:Not sure what reference you're making DalTXColtsFan, but that phrase goes back to at least Robbie Burns (late 1700's). There's actually more to it as well:

I did not know that - very interesting!

I was referring to Boos from Return to Zork. "Want some rye? Course you do!"
I stopped playing Zork when they stopped being text-only.
DalTXColtsFan wrote:
Chandler wrote:Not sure what reference you're making DalTXColtsFan, but that phrase goes back to at least Robbie Burns (late 1700's). There's actually more to it as well:

I did not know that - very interesting!

I was referring to Boos from Return to Zork. "Want some rye? Course you do!"
I caught the reference. :D
Chandler wrote:I stopped playing Zork when they stopped being text-only.
I apologize for hijacking the OP's thread, but you're doing yourself a disservice. Return to Zork and Zork Grand Inquisitor are both spectacular games. Ironically, both actually have live actors and FMV. They're more satirical in nature than serious (though IMHO both Zork Zero and Beyond Zork clearly had some satire in them!), but I'll bet Tex Murphy fans who are familiar with the original text-based Zork trilogy would have a lot of fun playing through both games.

I never played Zork Nemesis so I can't comment on that one.
I tried one of the FMV Zorks, but it just didn't have the same feel (notice I didn't say 'look' :wink:
The FMV Zork games definitely had a different look, but I thought a lot of the feel was similar in Grand Inquisitor and Return to Zork. It was the same zany humor and, I thought, some interesting puzzles. Nemesis was very different in feel. It was a good game, but much darker than any other Zork game.

I still remember when I got Return to Zork and saw the little white house and the mailbox: I thought it was awesome.
Here's a quote (from a movie) that fits for all of us longtime UTM'ers. I only changed one word (and replaced it with two) to make it fit...whatdya think...can you figure out where it is from?

"I want you guys to take a good look at yourselves and feel proud. We made it here. We're here. What I've learned from you is that really one of the most important things in life is showing up. I'm blown away by your ability to show up through everything that's gone on. The gaming companies never wanted you to play this game, but you showed up."
"Frankie says 'Relax and wear a Hawaiian shirt' ". --Tex Murphy, PI