Other
8%

Total votes: 13

Choose your favorite.
Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).
ADVENTURE - and my favorite adventure game is The Pandora Directive, and following close behind is Overseer, UAKM, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum! I can't think of any other that even comes close to the Tex Murphy game series. But, The Black Dahlia and Syberia 1 & 2 are also quite good, and rank high on my list of favorite adventure games.

Nilo
Nilo

Website - http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

Email - [email protected]
Definitely Space Sims.

This is a genre (or sub-genre to Simulator, if you like) that has generated one revolutionary game after another throughout the years. Starting with games like Elite which took the helm as far as game mechanics were at the time. Then came along Star Control (the 2nd of which is legendary) and Wing Commander (the most successful space sim franchise ever) and swept the gaming industry with incredible graphics, sound and revolutionary gameplay at the time.

It continued throughout the mid 90s to revolutionize with games like Privateer and its sequel, Wing Commander 3 and Wing Commander IV (which I personally consider the most revolutionary game of all-time) which set new standards and benchmarks for upcoming games. Other games at the time were the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter series.

It took several years for those standards to be met again with the epic Descent: Freespace and the supreme follow-up Freespace 2, which many consider to be one of the best games of all-time, by any standard. Also, more simplistic space sims started to show up bearing the Star Wars brand, like Rogue Squadron 3D, Battle For Naboo, and Starfighter (all of which are very toned-down and basic, but fun nonetheless).

Other notable games were Starlancer and its "recent" sequel Freelancer, which is a simplistic yet beautifully designed and polished space sim. Others include the Independence War series which were great in their own right and merit. And let's not forget the Star Trek space sims like Star Fleet Command, Star Fleet Academy and Bridge Commander (which is a wonderful, yet short space sim).

The later 3D generation included games like the X series, which is very similar to Privateer and the classic Elite. Also released at the time were Tachyon: The Fringe, EVE Online (the first MMORPG space sim) and Allegiance (the first all-multiplayer space sim).

Sci-Fi is definitely one of my favorite genres in regards to books, movies, games, TV shows and whatnot, so it's easy to see why I love space sims. If we put aside the fact that space sims were revolutionary and great regardless of their Sci-Fi content, one can see the true beauty of space sims--the mystery. Space sims have always generated epic and complex stories that drove the player through intense gameplay and provided the ultimate playing experience. There is NOTHING like exploring space, discovering new storylines, new systems and planets, new species, new ships and technology advancements. Just give Freelancer a spin and start exploring the systems, the detail is amazing and there is nothing like finding that remote location, taking that jump into the unknown - beyond the event horizon. Priceless.

Everybody in the industry knows that the space sim genre is not doing well in the last half a decade. Infact it's doing much worse than the adventure games genre and that tells you a lot. I'm not sure the genre is completely dead, but even so, sadly, it's clearly in a long hibernation mode.

With the new influx of first person shooters, strategy games, MMORPGs and other action games of the new millennium, the space sim genre is no more than a niche genre with a small, but devoted cult following who is still awaiting that next revolutionary space sim. The fact that the genre is clearly a traditional PC genre doesn't really help either because it gets no console coverage as well. Let us hope for a better future, but I'm not really holding my breath. :cry:

My 2nd most favorite genre is adventure games, but I'm definitely not getting into it right now as I could probably write a book on the subject. :wink:

Anyways, sorry to bore you to death with my long post... :twisted:
I very much echo kress' thoughts. Personally I prefer the open, exploratory spacesims to mission-based. For years I've been dreaming of a game that would seamlessly combine freeform spacesim and adventure/action/RPG on foot. There have been a few games that have done this to some extent, such as Sundog: Frozen Legacy, Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic and Hard Nova. It would be beyond lovely to see such a game done with today's technology.
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed
-Bob Dylan
Def. Adventure, I really do love FMV Adventure Games, even some of the bad ones were fun, or at lest funny, (ie a fork in the tail, lol...)
http://www.cwmdesign.com
Well, please, post your answer.
Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).
Alexander wrote:Well, please, post your answer.
LOL, you post into a 9 year old thread and that's your statement? :P
Alex is the board's necromancer. Resurrecting dead threads is his specialty.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Fred Buer wrote:Alex is the board's necromancer. Resurrecting dead threads is his specialty.

-Fred
That was a good one, Fred! :lol:
But what is your favorite game genre?
Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).
oki maybe theres a simpel explenation for this but how is it that Nilo P who joind in 09 wrote a post in 06?

just peeked my curiosity :P
Well,the board has gone through revisions & updates. There is still a copy of the old board accessible on the Internet.
Aha, well that cleared everything up for me. TY
Chandler wrote:
9 years is a lot of patience!
Bjyman wrote:
Chandler wrote:
9 years is a lot of patience!
Bordering on obsessive, don't you think? :wink:
You know, every time I try to vote in the polls on this website, I get the message, "Your vote was invalid." It never works.