Why does Telltale do episodic games?

It would be nicer to see them do full games. Who's with me?
Disagree to be honest. I too love full games but I also like the idea of dividing a game up into smaller portions and really appreciating it as you go along. It's less demanding on time plus it also allows you to really take in the plot and revisit key moments in the game so come the next episode, you're more than prepared for it. At the moment because of study and work commitments, I might start a full length game but then take a two week break or so. This way, with episodic gaming, it actually suits my lifestyle really well.
I think the episodic format for a company such as them is about the only model that works well. You already have a niche audience, and selling you the game piecemeal keeps you interested and also brings in new customers with the whole, "Eh, it's only $5 maybe I'll like it."

I do get what you mean about maybe feeling short-changed or wanting more, but I think that's just the way it has to be.

~Keck
I'm with you Bjyman. After being horribly left hanging for over a decade, I am distrustful of games that promise to resolve things in the next episode (you know who you are!).

I'd much rather get a full game or wait until all episodes are released and buy the bundle.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
So it has to do with people's attention spans? I just don't like the concept because it's like 5 mini games where the locations and inventory dont seem to carry over.
Bjyman wrote:So it has to do with people's attention spans? I just don't like the concept because it's like 5 mini games where the locations and inventory dont seem to carry over.
Actually that's something I can agree on - the continuity isn't the most faithful or consistent it could be. I suppose another flaw is that they don't seem to give rise to multipath or alternate endings. The thing is, it can be done but it's only effective if you play all of the episodes back to back. When you start the second ep, the software could just check the last point in the previous episode along with inventory and dialogue decisions.
Yeah continuty is the word I'm looking for. Episodes make it too linear because there's only one path a player can take in the previous episode(s)
Bjyman wrote: Episodes make it too linear because there's only one path a player can take in the previous episode(s)
That's right but it doesn't have to! If I had to be frustrated about something when it comes to episodic gaming, that would have to be it. I seriously can't see why someone hasn't taken the plunge yet, it can be done. But, it would be too driven by long term players rather than those who want to drop it and try it out along the way which would make it one hell of a gamble. Nevertheless, it would certainly push the boundaries of the medium.
Yeah sounds like developers don't want to take the plunge. I thought about using a password system, but even then that opens the door for cheating. I suppose you'd have to plug in one of your game files from a previous episode as part of the setup for the subsequent episode.