Recent Games

I just finished playing Still Life about two days ago, and I'm now ready to give a review on it.

First of all, let me say that for adventure games released these days, it was pretty good. Of course, if you compare it to Tex Murphy, or any of the golden titles of the 90's, it doesn't quite come up to par.

The plot is quite unique and immersive, with impressive graphics, music, and the characters are interesting enough. The puzzles fit into the game quite well, and for the most part, are not too difficult. I had the most trouble with the gingerbread men recipe and the lock picking, simply because it required so many steps.

A lot of people on the Still Life webpage and in other areas have really trashed the ending, saying they felt cheated and that the company just got lazy and/or ran out of funds and brought the story to a screeching, cheap halt. This is mainly because they wanted to know who the killer was who was immitating the Prague killings. However, I liked the ending for the most part. Sometimes, a good story is one that leaves you with some questions, so that you can think for yourself and interpret what you believe. And this is still not to say that there will not be a sequel to Still Life, supposedly there will be, making Post Mortem, Still Life, and its sequel a series.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I'd recommend Still Life to anyone here, it is definitely worth a play.
I'll have to get a hold of a copy then.

Do you guys reccomend having played Post Mortem first? I remember trying a demo of that game ages ago and enjoying it.

Also, about endings and questions, this may be rather cynical on my part but i believe that the mass market just don't like thinking for themselves when it comes to their entertainment.

I always think of the Matrix Trilogy. That first movie would have been great if they had just left it at one movie. They left the ending open with what might happen to let you reach your own conclusions. Of course in the following movie, they kind of contradict the ending and well, don't get me started on a Matrix rant.

I think ever since i took those scriptwriting courses at uni, i've been appaled at a lot of the writing in cinema these days. (games are another cup of tea, and of course the writing is why i love Tex).
To be honest I haven't played many games lately. You know how you go through those moments where u just don't feel like playing games anymore. Like you don't have any interest in playing them etc. I still play the occasional one. The most recent game I played was Max Payne 2. I really enjoyed this, though I only had it on hire, so I only got about half way through.

I'm really looking forward to 24: The Game though, for Playstation 2. 24 is my favourite show on television at the moment, so I can't wait to beable to play as Jack Bauer!
"Passion doesn't just happen... You make it grow".
You've convinced me, jcarnby. I'll have to pick up a copy of it soon :)

~Keck
I played the demo of Still Life... but it realy did not appeal to me as much as it did for others on this board... maybe I have been a little corrupt as of late in terms of what I like in a game.

But for some reason I found it hard to pick up on the atmosphere. 3rd Person and CG characters don't really immerse me as they should I guess, but thats my fault. I suppose the 'running around' it more potetnt in 3rd person static room titles like this, but I find it gets frustrating.

Although it did look like an interesting enough game, it was nothing I would persoanlly prioritise over many other things. I have reached the point where a game has to be a 10 our of 10 for me to find the time to play it from start to finish; which is a shame. :cry:

-Cub. =o)