Who Should Vote on the Final "Official" Unofficial Tex Poster?
Should it be Aaron and Chris alone? 10%  10%  [1]
Should we the community (including AC & CJ) decide? 30%  30%  [3]
Should the community vote for the finalists and AC & CJ decide from them? 60%  60%  [6]
Total votes : 10

Electron Stu
Post subject: A Little Piece of Tex
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Hey I just received an awesome gift from a buddy of mine for good ol' Xmas (oh Happy Holidays everyone!) and it gave me an idea. Okay you see I received a 4 foot by 3 foot sign of Super Mario Bros 3. for Xmas (Sorry bigger Mario fan than Tex ... sorry) as my buddy recently opened a sign business. I've always loved the Super Mario games and he made me this poster. Anyway it turned out AWESOME and it got me thinking of approaching the board to do something similar.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could agree upon a picture that could be printed out in a huge sign for our walls? I mean I can't be the only one who would want a large piece of Tex memorabilia hanging on the wall. Now I do have to note that it is a sign and not a poster. It has some printing dots in it but it is not really noticeable unless you're up close to it.

Here are some pics of what it looks like full size and 2 up close to show dithering. Keep in mind it's 4'x3' big. The full image is of the poster before he put it on the corplast (think plastic cardboard box, corrugated plastic).

Pic 01
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/637/ ... xedvi7.jpg

Pic 02
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3204/dsc00949ya9.jpg

Pic 03
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9747/dsc00950hb3.jpg

* For some reason I can't post an image
Just click the link.

Anyway I was thinking for anyone who was interested we could gather our ideas and maybe make and "official" Unofficial Tex Murphy sign/poster. We could submit samples and maybe mix and match what we all like until we have a sign/poster. It can be any size within 4 feet by 8 feet as that is the maximum size of the board to put the sign on.

The maximum dots per inch or dpi would be 150 for the photoshop users out there. I think the image for my sign was 4800x3600 pixels. No clue what that is in mega pixels. Maybe about 4? ANYWAY if we do agree on something, my buddy can print out the amount of signs wanted for all those interested, however, the only thing is that you would have to deal with him directly for payment and shipping. Once I know the final size of the agreed upon sign/poster I can send it to him for pricing information.

I must state that this could be a couple hundred bucks so we have to make it a good image to make it worthwhile. Either that or make it extremely simplistic so that it can be cut out of a couple of simple coloured sheets of vinyl to cut down on pricing. I know the Tex silhouette would definitely work for that one.

Let me know if anyone is interested, I know I am.

Last edited by Electron Stu on Feb 15, 2008 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

jcarnby
Post subject: Re: A Little Piece of Tex
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2008 9:13 pm

I could most definitely be interested. Count me in assuming we can get enough of the others into it.

Fred Buer
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2008 1:34 am

I smells me a new contest brewing! Who can whip up the best Tex-art worthy of poster-dom?

-Fred

Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!

Electron Stu
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Alright here's the latest info. For a graphic image my buddy and I are attempting something different. We're trying to mount the image on a mounting board that is trimmed to fit the image as well as routed edges. Trying to make it as fancy as possible. From there we will give it a glossy coat so it'll stand right out. Everything should look good. I will let you know how the test image works.

Oh also perhaps a contest might be a good idea. However, how would one vote for such a thing though? I mean it should be an agreed upon image by the board itself instead of a moderator. Any volunteers for such a task?

freepizza
Post Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:17 am

We can all just cast a vote. It doesn't have to get to official as the only real reason we want to do it is to have something truly awesome that we can all agree on.

Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf

Electron Stu
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2008 10:49 am

Alright here's the latest on the sample test. I had my buddy print out a scan of the game cover Double Dragon 2 as a test image for a poster for mounting. I always liked the game art when I was a kid and now that I am a video game collector I thought it'd make a nice addition to the set. Anyway here's a photo of what it looks like. The dimensions are 2 ft by . . . whatever the width is but the tall part is 2 feet . . . maybe 2 1/2 I can't remember what I had originally said. When I get the final product I will measure it more accurately. I think once it is mounted on the board and clear coated the final product is gonna look great! Lemme know what you guys think. Maybe it'll jog a little inspiration :D

Example of a detailed image printed out:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/15/p1010008ec2.jpg

Now having said all that, does anyone know why when I try to post an image that it always says "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." What am I doing wrong here?

Last edited by Electron Stu on Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sai
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Electron Stu wrote:
Now having said all that, does anyone know why when I try to post an image that it always says "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." What am I doing wrong here?

The image is probably too big and needs to be reduced in size.
The board software probably prevents you posting huge images because it would stretch the layout of thread out. Which would cause sentences to run off peoples screens and force them to scroll more amongst other things, would also make the thread harder to read.

You resize images in any image software including Paint (which comes on any Windows PC) but also you should be able to do it through certain websites. A few Google results:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
http://www.resizeyourimage.com/
http://www.resize2mail.com/
http://www.resize.it/
http://www.resizr.com/

(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy

Electron Stu
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:18 pm

I COULD Photoshop them but I am a lazy guy, I guess links are good enough. Besides they are higher quality to see them tiny in the message board view is just sacrilegious. Especially for those who have substantially higher resolutions than average and enjoy the higher resolution . . . such as myself. I am sure there are other graphics people on the board with similar thoughts.

What is the maximum resolution we could display an image on here anyway? I notice that my custom animated GIF of me walking through the door is also blown up. What's up with that?

Sai
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Electron Stu wrote:
I COULD Photoshop them but I am a lazy guy, I guess links are good enough. Besides they are higher quality to see them tiny in the message board view is just sacrilegious. Especially for those who have substantially higher resolutions than average and enjoy the higher resolution . . . such as myself. I am sure there are other graphics people on the board with similar thoughts.

What is the maximum resolution we could display an image on here anyway? I notice that my custom animated GIF of me walking through the door is also blown up. What's up with that?

I think when you upload images to Photobucket.com it gives you a code for posting a thumbnail version for forums. And then people can then click the thumbnail to see the full size version. If it wasnt Photobucket then there are probably other sites that do that.
Anyway yeah links are fine too. Just thought I'd look it up for you incase you need it for the future :)

I tried to find out the appropriate size for not stretching the thread but can't seem to find any info on the board FAQ etc. You could PM James about it as he might know.
Your avatar is probably stretched/oversized because the forum was updated to a newer version recently. As a result peoples avatars got bugged slightly. To resolve it just remove your current avatar on your profile and then add it again, that should refresh the forum settings and put it back. My cat got blown up too (don't worry no animals were harmed in the making of this post) ;)

(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy

rockefeller
Post Posted: Jan 19, 2008 10:37 pm

What about something simple like this:

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"

Jim the old guy
Post Posted: Jan 20, 2008 10:20 am

Hey, Rocky, that's really neat!

"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"

Electron Stu
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2008 1:58 am

Hey Rockefeller, awesome job. I wish I had noticed that before we went ahead and did a test. You're idea was similar to what I did, I could have used your graphic instead of the one I kinda sorta "borrowed" from the site itself (sorry James.) Now we're at least getting this ball rolling!

Okay so here is the test that my buddy did last night. We did this spur of the moment so it's a little clunky looking and by no means what the final product would look like as we were checking to make sure that it would work to begin with. The real product would have rounded edges and a nice layer of clear coat covering the image to protect it and also adhere the vinyl sign to the MDF board better. There are some dithering issues in the gradient colours but we are working on it to make it stand out as best as possible. Also this sign is smaller than the real one that I propose. I think it's about a foot tall, maybe 2 at the most to give you a size idea. I am not sure, I have not seen it myself as my buddy lives in another town all together so I have only seen images of it myself. I was pretty psyched when I saw it all done up. I though maybe it would have been a little too simple but in fact I think that's what makes it stand out. Check it out for yourselves:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3954 ... gn1de6.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9585 ... gn2su5.jpg

I do have to clarify that we do not have to have just a silhouette image, in fact we can have very detailed images printed up. I printed that Double Dragon 2 poster up to show that intricate things can be printed up as well. Aside from the test image that I made up, I was going to make a heavily detailed image to show the board as well but I ran into a snag. I do not have all the images and screen grabs I would like from the games themselves. I was wondering if anyone had a large bulk of them in their reserves that I could borrow (In ZIP or RAR format) I unfortunately do not have the time to play through all the games to get the images I would like so I am kinda hoping I can luck out and find what I would like in some screen grabs that someone else had acquired in the past. I will try to make a graphic using random Googled images to show you a mock up of where I was going with it all. Prehaps that is the next best step.

Anyway I think that's it for me for now. I am getting excited seeing others work as well so keep the ideas flowing and everyone post what you want. The more the merrier. Most importantly, have fun doing them! I know I am.

rockefeller
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2008 7:53 am

Hey that's looking really nice!
Let me know if you want a large version of the thing I did 150ppi, 2x3 feet I think...
Also, I have a bunch of screen grabs somewhere, but I'll have to have a look.
PM me your email and I get get these files to you asap :D

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"

michel pronk
Post Posted: Jan 25, 2008 1:18 am

WOW some nice ideas are there lovely.

Now some peaple are gone move and or gone clear out some walls to fit that kinda art on the wall.

Live is too short to waste it make sure its with the one u love !
MAIL : michel.pronk@gmail.com

Electron Stu
Post Posted: Feb 15, 2008 5:42 am

Don't worry I didn't forget about this. I am still working out some technical details about the poster contest but I will post official rules and other details regarding the contest soon enough. Let me know what you guys think about Chris and Aaron judging or participating in the vote. I want to keep it as fair as possible. Do you think that CJ and AC should be the only 2 judges on the final "official" unofficial poster or should we ALL vote on the poster. I am curious what others think. Actually after this I am gonna try and make it a poll question. Please vote and feel free to express other concerns or other ideas.

Search for: