Electron Stu
Post subject: Why don't we . . . . ?
Post Posted: Dec 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Why don't we write articles for the "Bay City Mirror?" I never did check if it's an actual paper or not but if it is purely fictional we should write up articles for the new site as though it's our paper. I am sure some of us would pen a few articles and pictures. It's a new way to keep the site fresh in these Tex stagnant days. We could report on ANYTHING. What's news worthy, entertaining etc, all that kinda crap. Anyone else think that would be a good idea?

However if the idea were to spark we'd have to not make articles about personal things, that's what the forum is for right? I mean SOMEONE has to carry the paper into Tex's time am I right? We could even make mock articles that are funny just like in the game. Alright this HAS to be a good idea, I'm getting excited and it's my dumb idea.

If we do go through with it we could have a master "editor" that could assemble the articles on a web page that could even look like a newspaper. So if someone wanted to have an article posted they could submit it to the editor and then go into the next issue(?) of the Bay City Mirror. Let me know what everyone thinks.

freepizza
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2007 8:55 am

I will give my time to write for it. It does sound like a really fun idea. Seems like something we would have to wait on James to finish the site for...come on James :)

Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf

James LeMosy
Site Admin
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:15 am

I think something like this could definitely be arranged. But, yes, let me get the new site up and running first...then we'll talk. :)

rockefeller
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:58 am

What a splendid idea, this newspaper sounds fun! I'm fully for it, let's try it at once!

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"

Fred Buer
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:21 am

This just in. JTOG rocks the casbah on geritol-binge, plays the guitar like Hendrix. "I taught Jimi everything he knew", says Jim. "Did you steal my Dagwood? I forget. You ever forget? I forgot." The Old Guy was in familiar form, as he delivered a raging spur-of-the-moment street-concert, playing such classics as Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Don't Fear The Reaper, by Blue Oyster Cult. Reviews of the concert were mixed, but overall people seemed satisfied, giving the aging, but oh-so-handsome rockstar a 7.0 average on the Bay City Mirror pointsystem.

This is Fred B. reporting not-so-live, right from his computer-room.

Now sports.

-Fred

Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!

Jen
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:56 am

rockefeller wrote:
What a splendid idea, this newspaper sounds fun! I'm fully for it, let's try it at once!

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

Don't you mean to say....I fully endorse it, let's try it at once. :wink:

You see what I did here????

"Everyone please here, not so fast, there's something about it you don't quite grasp....." :P

Grand idea, of course.

Jim the old guy
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2007 2:36 pm

First, this is a great idea! I'm sure, with all the super writing talent and creativity among our posters, e could come up with a fantastic version of the BCM.

Second, that was REALLY funny Fred! I loved it! :lol: :lol:

"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"

rockefeller
Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Jen wrote:
rockefeller wrote:

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

Don't you mean to say....I fully endorse it, let's try it at once. :wink:

You see what I did here????

"Everyone please here, not so fast, there's something about it you don't quite grasp....." :P

Grand idea, of course.

I would endorse it had I had the power to do so :wink:

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"

marinedalek
Post subject: Re: Why don't we . . . . ?
Post Posted: Feb 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Had a go at recreating the style of Bay City Mirror articles - This is a clipping from an edition just following Under a Killing Moon...
http://files.marinedalek.co.uk/images/bcmproto.png

Cubase
Post Posted: Feb 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Awesome idea! What kind of columns would everyone write?

-Cub. =o0

Vracar
Post Posted: Feb 07, 2008 2:38 am

Well, we can't write about what goes on in the forums. Why's that? Because we read the forums, and we'd be the only ones to read the Bay City Mirror. If we did it that way, then it would end up being like...

Fred and Cub combine their forces to present an article criticizing Jen for forgetting Jim's birthday. Jim reads it, and is sad. Or angry. Or indifferent.

Either way, it would end up being a small paper, written by a small group of people, for each other. And...the forum does a great job at doing that already, so there's not too much of a need to create a thinly veiled other version of it.

I'd imagine a Bay City Mirror created by us would most likely have to start out small. We're all busy, or at least most of us are. I'm awake at...2:34 in the morning after spending the last three hours playing Jade Empire. So...not so busy. Or maybe just procrastinating from my own writing. Anyway, I'm imagining a web site. Just one front page at first, a few articles, resembles the newspaper you see in Hitman: Bloody Money.

There might be a tab for the reader to view previous issues, and there has to be some sort of sudoku puzzle generator. Must! What will it be about? In the beginning, it all depends on who signs up.

It all depends on who volunteers, and what article they volunteer. Maybe...Jim wants to write an article about...a movie he watched. Cub wants to write about politics. It doesn't really matter too much, at first. The editor-in-chief would most likely just be playing around with the spacing on the paper; the content isn't very important since the readership will be rather low.

Most likely, in the beginning, it would have to be once a week, while everything is getting set up and things get planned. Then that might eventually get upgraded to bi-weekly, and, if interest prevails, tri-weekly.

As for increasing readership, well, I'm not in the advertising business. But I'm sure someone else will have an answer to how the Bay City Mirror can get it's word out on the street.

My blog:
http://nvracar.wordpress.com/
My attempts at writing and drawing:
http://nickleevee.deviantart.com/

Cubase
Post Posted: Feb 07, 2008 4:58 am

Vracar wrote:
Cub wants to write about politics.

Cub thinks that's a bad idea. :lol:

-Cub. =o)

Jim the old guy
Post Posted: Feb 07, 2008 7:40 am

Good ideas, V.

"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"

Mr. Thomas Malloy
Post Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:17 pm

I want a "Dear Malloy" column. Sort of like Dear Abbey only I'll be giving worthwhile advice. Ohhhh snap. Burned.

I'm not fat ... I'm festively plump.

Fred Buer
Post Posted: Feb 13, 2008 4:28 pm

My coloumn would probably be named I Hate It Here. Twenty bonus pop-culture points for whoever solves that one.

-Fred

Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!

Search for: